Because Daddy Said So

At lunch today the topic of “Contradictions in the Bible” came up. It was so tempting to get into each and every one of the supposed contradictions and defend them one by one, but there was a deeper issue at stake. The real issue was, “Is God’s word our Authority?” I was amazed as the conversation kept coming back to that very issue. What is even more interesting is that EVERY conversation will keep coming back to that one issue! Whether you are speaking with someone about radioactive dating or the moon landing, the fundamental question we must examine first is, “Is God’s word our Authority?” Sounds strange, doesn’t it.  What would that question have to do with radioactive dating? The short end of it is that our thoughts themselves, our senses that observe our world, and our very ability to reason prove that the Christian God of the Bible exists!

It all comes down to authority. This evening as I was sitting on the couch and my daughter was rubbing my feet, my son came in and asked if he could go talk to Mommy while she was running on the treadmill.  I told him “No, you don’t need to bother her now.”  When he asked, “why,” I reminded him of the reason. His response was, “But Why?” I had to end the discussion with, “Because daddy says so.” Case closed. Don’t forget that with God it is the same way. We have His word—the Bible—to tell us, “Because I said so.”

Leave12 Responses to testBecause Daddy Said So

1. Michiel Johnson August 2, 2010 at 7:19 am #

Hello Eric, I am convinced and have been for a long time that the Holy Writ is inspired by the Holy Spirit… I have serious doubts about the so called carbon dating that they use to date archeology diggs… I believe because the early apostles and the early church taught a 6000 doctrine that mankind has only been here plus my own research into Adam’s 10 generation geneology… Your comments please…

2. Joakim Rosqvist August 2, 2010 at 10:17 am #

> “Is God’s word our Authority?” Sounds strange, doesn’t it. What would that question have to do with radioactive dating?

Couldn’t agree more!

> our very ability to reason prove that the Christian God of the Bible exists!

Eh.. what does our ability to reason have to do with the god of any particular religion?

> “But why” – “Because I said so.”

So referring to the Bible is a way to avoid a difficult question when you don’t have a good answer?

3. Charles Haley August 2, 2010 at 10:59 am #

I completely agree with this. There should never be any need to question authority, whether from your government, your parents, your religious leaders, your teachers, or anyone else. They always have your best interests in mind.

It is because of man’s sinful nature that he needs guidance and needs to obey a higher authority.

If it were not for the rule of God, there would be no society, as all or the rules are from the Bible.

4. Nigel McNaughton August 2, 2010 at 2:59 pm #

Yes we understand that “No apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and science, can be valid if it contradicts Scripture.” Which is a great summation of why Creation isn’t scientific if there is no way it could be wrong. No matter where the evidence leads, your personal interpretation of your chosen version of the bible (don’t pretend there is only 1 bible) can never be wrong.

Because you can make up excuses (apologetics) to cover the contradictions, doesn’t mean they aren’t there.

5. Marcis Rozkalns August 3, 2010 at 12:57 am #

I agree on this article!
    There could be many discussions and big paperworks (and it is good to have them) about every man’s authority including God’s Word. But – if I have another authority and you another – I or you can only tell about our own authority. If you don’t listen but only saying how bad is my authority – that’s not discussion just talking, sorry.
    Just my principle or my point of view (and I find confirmation of that in my Bible) – we (every one) have our Creator – He made everything related to space, matter, time and spirit. Man just “made” death and sin. So He is the Lord and rule-maker. Where are His rules written – in Bible (be careful with translations and versions)! We are sinners but He loves us (everyone) anyway – I think that is very good reason to read Bible and take seriously His rules. Not because you will have all in this life but you will have life – forever!

6. Joakim Rosqvist August 3, 2010 at 9:36 am #

[i]But – if I have another authority and you another – I or you can only tell about our own authority[/i]

Using God as an authority will not solve that problem — people have many different ideas about what God supposedly thinks, and about which quotation from which holy book is relevant for the current situation, etc.

7. Sara Ci August 3, 2010 at 3:41 pm #

“The short end of it is that our thoughts themselves, our senses that observe our world, and our very ability to reason prove that the Christian God of the Bible exists!”

So are you saying that we shouldn’t make scientific inquiries? That we, as humans, shouldn’t ask questions and should just accept what is written in the Word as indisputable fact?

While the senses can observe the wondrous world around us, and can certainly enhance one’s faith in a higher being, can science not do the same thing? By understanding the world, its origins and its functions, on a physical, chemical, and biological level, shouldn’t one be only further inspecting a Creator’s beautiful, intricate creation?

To use the example of your son, if he had been of a more mature mindset (difficult, as I’m guessing that he’s of a young age), he would have understood why he wasn’t to disturb his mother. He would have understood that, after a long day of taking care of him and his needs, his mother needs some (much deserved) time to unwind on the treadmill to take care of her own needs. Having this knowledge and understanding, he could likely even connect to his mother on a more emotional level, sympathizing with her, and creating a stronger bond between the two of them. The same can be said of understanding our world – by having more knowledge about the Creation, we strengthen our relationship with the Creator.

-SC

8. Stuart Mitchell August 3, 2010 at 6:42 pm #

Really? Because I said so… is that all you have.
    Religion is philosophy with the questions left out.
    “All thinking men (and women) are atheists” – Ernest Hemingway

9. Marcis Rozkalns August 4, 2010 at 6:50 am #

To: Joakim Rosqvist

To be clear – my authority is God’s Word – in Bible are clear statements and rules given directly from our God – Creator – Judge. I think they are quite clear to understand. I’m not saying that I’m following them 100% – not because I don’t think that something is wrong in Bible but because I’m too weak to do that. So God gave me (and to everyone) and I received substitute of my sins – Jesus Christ. If you don’t agree with God’s Word – how can you say that this – the same God didn’t think the same what He said? I think – that is not logical. Its more like – I don’t like the rule so there should be another meaning.
    By the way – which God’s given/spoken rule doesn’t fit with His thoughts?

10. Anthony Kopah August 5, 2010 at 12:22 pm #

To: Marcis Rozkalns

Isn’t it a bit arrogant to claim to know the thoughts of a supposedly omniscient being?

11. Marcis Rozkalns August 6, 2010 at 7:56 am #

To: Anthony

Sorry, I don’t understand your question – please clarify! And I don’t see any connection between your question and my response to Joakim.. hope that you didn’t red my last question only..

If this is like independent question: yes, it is – I can only know His commands given is His Word – Bible. Why I stated such question to Joakim? – Please read his comment about God’s “thinking process” and people’s various understanding of it.

12. Scott Johnson August 6, 2010 at 8:43 pm #

So many true and valid points. The variety of perspectives. My one year old, my 12 year old, and my friend who is 6’8″ can all look at me. But, they all see a man in a different perspective. So all humans see God (or god for some) in a different perspective. All from their point in life and life experiences. I would rather tell someone about myself than rely on a stranger who does not know me to accurately portray me to another. Thus, the Word of God. Creation, science, philosophy… all are part of our lives. But the only important question is, Is God part of my life? Which God (or god to some)? Who’s God? Thank God, that is a question only I can answer. I choose the Creator and Savior described by the book properly called The Bible. Which translation? Several. Sometimes I need to study to see what some confusing or apparent contradicting verses have to say. And, sometimes, I have to go to the original texts and find the meanings of the Hebrew, Greek, and Arab language. Despite the fact that God has not changed, we humans have a tendency to change ourselves as well as our language including the definitions. What if I’m wrong? Oh well. What if you’re wrong? Oh well. Every person has a standard by which they live. Many Christians quote the same standards but try to force their own perception of what those standards are on others who don’t quite measure up. Thank the Lord that in His Word he has given me enough perspectives to find Him and make Him my friend. There are some things I don’t understand in scripture. There were several things I did not understand in school. Ask questions. Search for the answers. Study the many things God gave us to enhance our knowledge of us, life, and Him in particular. We may think that God says, Because I said so. And He may have. But with time and study we will all be able to find His thought process behind it. Probably not to the level He is at as an omniscient. But, as we grow and become more mature in our walk, His purposes make more sense. Just as Eric’s son, as he grows and becomes more mature in his life, he will understand. – (maybe a little to long winded, and maybe too scattered. sorry)