By Design or By Chance?

RC Helicopter and the bacterial flagellum

It took me five minutes of coaxing my wife to get her to see the value of our family’s first RC helicopter for the kids. (When I say “kids.” I mean me. :-)

The Blade MCX is an amazing piece of engineering for just $99.00. I have not been disappointed! You can literally let it hover in mid-air and set the remote control down without loosing control. It is able to move through the air on all three accesses with ease. Apparently the Blade’s design has taken a long time to evolve. Compare this little piece of engineering to the bacterial flagellum. Bacteria are able to propel themselves through their environment at the equivalent of a human swimming 60 mph.  The bacteria uses a single hair called a flagellum that is 15 microns long and spins at speeds of around 6,000 rpm. The motor that spins the flagellum is very similar to the design of any motor that spins a propeller. It has a shaft, bushings, bearings and a control panel. No one would question that my new RC Helicopter has been designed, yet there are still those who would question that the bacterial flagellum was designed. I believe that is why the Bible claims that to deny God as the designer and creator is reduced to foolishness.

Here is a picture of the motor that runs my new RC Helicopter.

The motor that operates the flagellum is so small that it could fit on the cross section of a hair 8,000,000 times!

Bacterial flagellum:

I was tempted to purchase a cheaper model RC helicopter for $20, but was told that they only last a few flights and then break very easily. With my limited flying skills, I am glad that I did not go cheap! I am also glad that God the designer did not go cheap either. We are incredibly designed.  Even David the Psalmist was able to see that we are fearfully and wonderfully made: Psalm 139:14.

Leave14 Responses to testBy Design or By Chance?

1. Joseph Conkle September 28, 2010 at 9:50 am #

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

2. Gary Hendricks September 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm #

Joseph I love that scripture. In fact it affirms in my mind that we can clearly see and understand the things that are made.

This flies directly in the face of the young earth creationist who believes that what is seen and understood must be wrong as it is in contradiction to their “understanding” of scripture.

Of course when I say we can clearly see and understand, I am referring to those who actually have the background, education, and knowledge of research in their particular disciplines. I am NOT referring to the one who has the 1 year magic decoder ring doctorate which is NOT in science and yet believes he has the qualifications to attack nearly every branch of science.

3. David McCrea September 28, 2010 at 5:57 pm #

Remember all they hype surrounding the fossil named “Ida?” Remember how the high-priests and prophets of evolutionary biology, including Sir Richard Attenborough, initiated an unprecedented media blitz in order to sell their latest “proof of evolution” to the masses? Remember how the History Channel took all of a month to piece together a documentary titled “The Fossil. This Changes Everything?”

One hundred fifty years of evolutionary biology (aka settled science) apparently wasn’t so “settled” after all. Thousands of so-called transitional fossils suddenly became virtually meaningless. The evolutionists FINALLY had their proof. And it even had a name! Ida.

Then Ida turned out to be a hoax. It was just a run-of-the-mill lemur. Too bad.

How many millions of people believed Sir Richard Attenborough and Eugenie Scott when they hyped their find on television and radio stations across the country? After deceiving millions, was anything said or done to undo the damage? Of course not. The lie was told and the damage was done. Oh well, just another day in the life of an evolutionary biologist. They’ll find a REAL missing link some day, so this was just the cost of doing business. Who cares if their lies and misstatements help send millions of souls to hell? It’s not like hell even exists, right?

Right?

4. Mike Ayala September 28, 2010 at 8:13 pm #

Hey Eric,

Is it true that some folks really believe that the flagellum motors actually arose by random chance?

Isn’t that on the same level of understanding of the world round about us as those of whom I am told who believe in a flat earth?

I think it would be easier for a piston ring to properly form and assemble itself onto a piston by random chance than for one of those to arise by random chance. Anybody who has done rings before (especially without the right tools) knows how difficult that would be.

My son saw the Blade MCX and now I have to buy one.

Thanks.

God bless you all.

Mike Ayala

5. Peter Moeller September 28, 2010 at 9:29 pm #

Fascinating, all within a tiny single cell organism, built from individual proteins.

I’d be interested to know how evolutionists think this feature “evolved” in the bacterium?

6. Jack Napper September 29, 2010 at 12:36 am #

Eric I must applaud you on the apparently Creationist Green Initiative.

Rather than wasting precious resources constructing your own arguments you and you father are not only recycling your own but those of others too.

Here was have Michael Behe’s argument from personal incredulity. Of course we find that Behe really didn’t even come up with this on his own. He thought he did but no, he didn’t.

Evolution can actually lead to irreducibly complex systems. Heck the idea predates Behe’s “hypothesis” by more than half a century. Where Behe failed is when he added the idea that things are now as they have always been . Wait isn’t that something you try to argue against in one of your “how do you know”…nah couldn’t be.

7. David McCrea September 29, 2010 at 4:52 pm #

My fellow Creationists:

Maybe we’re asking the wrong question.

Maybe we should ask evolutionists the question “Is there anything evolution CAN’T do?”

According to the evolutionists, the dumbest force on the planet can do anything and everything. Literally.

All you need is lots and lots of time and an improbable amount of chance. No intelligence needed.

Mike, your piston analogy is exactly right. It can neither create nor assemble itself, not in a billion billion years.

Which leads us back to Joseph’s choice of Romans 1:20. Another powerful verse that clearly serves as a warning to the unbeliever.

Pray constantly that the scales will fall and the hardened hearts will soften.

God bless.

8. Mike Ayala September 29, 2010 at 6:00 pm #

Hey Gary,

You better be careful, or you’ll irreparably be known as, “Gary, accuser of the brethren”.

Hey Jack,

Name one single irreducibly complex system that “Evolution” has verifiably produced.

9. Mark James September 29, 2010 at 7:29 pm #

Someone please correct me if I’ve got this wrong but my reading of Romans 1:20 is that it is the ‘invisible things of God (including His eternal power and Godhead)’ that are clearly seen and understood by looking at the creation of the world and the things that were made.

This does not contradict my understanding of scripture at all.

10. H. Bosma September 30, 2010 at 9:34 am #

Actually, the flagellum did not come from random chance.
    It is proven that structures similar, but less complex also have functions within the body/bacteria.

And did your “creator” not go cheap. There are so many constructions in the body, which could have been more sound. The human hip is a clear case of not being meant to walk up straight and still we do………

11. Mike Ayala October 1, 2010 at 4:00 am #

H. Bosma September 30th at 9:34 am

Dear H. Bosma,

I do not believe you.

It’s nothing personal, but you just do not have sufficient credibility for me to trust what you say or have written.

At present, it seems unsafe for me to take you at your word. I have no evidence that you have the required authority to speak such things into existence.

Do you have anything to offer to the discussion that is actually based on objective verifiable evidence?

Do you have any evidence of whom or what is the engineer responsible for conceiving, designing, constructing, and commissioning into service the flagellum motor – all imbedded within a self-replicating single-celled organism? When cells divide, who decides which cell gets what equipment? How does one organism with one flagellum motor become two organisms with two separate flagellum motors?

(Who finances the second motor? It’s kind of like a divorce with one house and one car in the household, but both parties end up with an house each and a car each.)

If you know, please tell me, because I surely do not know. But only tell me the truth if you can find it.

You throw out so many statements as if they are factual and true, but they are contrary to known evidence through observation.

If I am to believe you, what verifiable evidence through observation can you supply which can be scrutinized so that I understand what you say is really true and not merely a propagandistic broadcast?

I pray God blesses you with a love of the truth.

Mike Ayala

12. Mike Ayala October 1, 2010 at 4:43 pm #

Hi David,

I think you are right. Asking, “Is there anything evolution CAN’T do?” would probably stumble them because they have not written a flow-chart script for that type of question yet. They would have to actually generate an answer from their own intellect.

The piston analogy gets worse when actually fitting the piston into the cylinder by random chance. It is hard enough even with a ring compressor when there is a slight bevel to the top edge of the cylinder. Without the right tools its near enough impossible to fit it properly without damaging it even with two hands helping.

The reason why locks provide a measure of security is because not only will they prevent random access to the item locked, but they prevent intentional access to anyone without a matching key. Metabolism is a series of lock and key mechanisms which allows the organism to harness energy from the environment around it. We intuitively know that it is a supremely extremely unlikely event that a lock AND its matching key will spontaneously arise by random chance and even more so that the key would find the lock and fit itself into the lock by random chance and provide sufficient energy to turn the lock mechanism against the retaining spring thus opening the lock – all by random chance. How much more so is it an impossible event for the numerous locks and keys of metabolism to spontaneously arise by random processes, correctly fit themselves together, and properly extract energy from the environment that an organism would survive, live, and thrive? It’s impossible.

God bless you, David, and thank you for your posts.

Mike Ayala

13. Mike Ayala October 1, 2010 at 4:46 pm #

Hi Mark,

Romans 1:20,

“For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly see, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.”

As I read it, I believe it is saying,

The things which are made (like evolutionists) are held accountable to clearly see and thus understand His invisible attributes, even His eternal power and Godhead (or divine nature).

They are “His invisible attributes” which are clearly seen since the foundation of the world, being understood by evolutionists and atheists, “even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse”.

The things made, the evolutionists and the atheists, are accountable to God and without excuse because God’s invisible attributes, even His eternal power and Godhead, are clearly seen since the creation of the world and are able to be understood.

Does that help?

Grace and blessings to you.

Mike Ayala

14. Gary Hendricks October 1, 2010 at 5:15 pm #

Give it a rest Mike. You proved the veracity of your ignorance a few posts back.