How Do We Decide?

There are lots of opinions in the world about who is right and who is wrong on any subject. Richard Dawkins interviews Wendy Write for a video entitled “The Genius of Charles Darwin,” and was making the claim that there is overwhelming evidence to show that Evolutionism is the right view over Creationism.  As always, Dawkins touted that “Science” was on his side: After all, he says, look at all the church leaders that believe in Evolutionism!

My question is, how do we decide who is right? Do we arm wrestle? Maybe we should take a poll. Everyone likes being on a committee; would that bring us to the truth? More ideas to find the truth might include: Tug of war, drag race, survey, study group, thumb-wars, coin toss, dance off, etc. How do we decide what is right and what is wrong? How do we find truth?

Some individuals believe that truth is a moving target.  They make the claim that “There is no absolute truth.” Of course, that falls through right away as you realize that the statement itself is an absolute statement claiming a truth!

Truth also implies that there is a “standard” of truth.  In order for something to be “false,” we would have to know what is “true.”  Believe it or not, everyone uses the Bible as their standard of truth, even when they deny it!  Romans 1:18-21 tells us that everyone believes in God! I have loved learning from Dr. Jason Lisle’s book called The Ultimate Proof of Creation as he shows how logic, science and morality all stem from the God of the Bible!  Truth is decided by God and His Word!

Leave17 Responses to testHow Do We Decide?

1. Jon Richt August 23, 2010 at 9:32 am #

By your definition, Eric, all statements are absolutes. That’s dishonest.

2. Jon Richt August 23, 2010 at 9:35 am #

Incidentally, it’s interesting that you spent time asking how human beings should determine “truth”. It seems to me that you’re a walking / talking answer to it: simply declare that you’re “right” and that no other opinion has the power to convince you otherwise.

3. Michael McCarrey August 23, 2010 at 9:49 am #

We decide WHO is right by first, accepting that God is ALWAYS right and His Word, even the very WORDS he chose, express His rightness. Next, we have to accept that Man’s opinions are ALWAYS wrong. They may contain bits of truth, but because they are the products of sinful minds, they are wrong, nevertheless. Even professing Christians, regardless of background, viewing God’s Word through the Sin-soiled eyes of Man’s traditions, produced denominationalism, and caused many to stumble. We have trouble deciding who is right because too many of us listen to sensual music about God; we read books about God; we attend lectures where God is the topic; “Preachers” tell us what they think God has said, and we do so much dancing around God, but we don’t listen to what God has actually said, about anything, nor can we inform others. God has given us His Word on all that matters to us. He has shown us His power in the Creation and His judgment in the Flood and the Confusion of Languages. He has told us how Sin and Death are connected, and provided the only solution to that problem through the finished work of His Son, Jesus Christ. Only God holds the Truth. We should not say that we hold to the truth, but rather, that the Truth holds us! We need to repent of our unbelief and start over again at the beginning and let God teach us the Truth again, apart from Man’s traditions. Then, we can say, in all honesty, that it is God who has made us wise.

4. David Ray August 23, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

“Believe it or not, everyone uses the Bible as their standard of truth, even when they deny it! Romans 1:18-21 tells us that everyone believes in God! I have loved learning from Dr. Jason Lisle’s book called The Ultimate Proof of Creation as he shows how logic, science and morality all stem from the God of the Bible! Truth is decided by God and His Word!”

Using the Bible to prove the Bible again, huh? It’s circular. It’s just as good as me saying, “I know I’m right because I know I’m always right.” “The Bible is right because Romans 1:18-21 says so.” All religions make this same claim. This is why Jay Liverstitch in another blog comment says, “I’m asking you to *demonstrate* to me, what you claim to already know.” When you can present demonstrable evidence of your claims that withstand valid criticisms, I’ll go with you. Unfortunately, you’ve already demonstrated that you have trouble just interpreting the title of an Animal Planet program (see the blog entry on Dragons and the associated comments ). Given that, why should we just accept that what you say about the Bible is true?

5. Eric Hovind August 23, 2010 at 4:29 pm #

@Jon writes: “simply declare that you’re “right” and that no other opinion has the power to convince you otherwise.
    I wonder what traffic would be like if each driver used this method to get from one end of the city to the other…”

6. Nigel McNaughton August 23, 2010 at 3:39 pm #

Shorter Eric “Without Presup, I got nothing”.

7. Eric Hovind August 23, 2010 at 4:28 pm #

@Jon writes “Eric, all statements are absolutes.”

Yellow blue does feelings tub blanket.

Is that an absolute statement?

8. Eric Hovind August 23, 2010 at 4:41 pm #

9. Jon Richt August 23, 2010 at 5:42 pm #

Eric Hovind responded to me with this: Yellow blue does feelings tub blanket.
    Is that an absolute statement?

No, because that’s not a statement.

—–

Eric again responded to me with this: So are you absolutely sure that we should drive on the right side of the road in America?

Again, Eric, you seem to be assuming that all statements must be absolute. I can assert something is true without needing absolute knowledge.

—–

Finally, Eric wrote something to me that I can’t make sense of: The fact that you know there are absolutes shows your belief in God and His Word

No Eric. Absolutes exist, but they’re systemic. 2+2=4 is an absolute statement, but that’s true only because we human beings have defined the symbols “2 4 + =”, and know how to assemble those symbols to communicate ideas. 2+2=4 is absolutely true because we have defined it to be true.

In the realm of experiential knowledge, I know of no absolutes that exist. I reject your understanding of God and your world view. A deity capable of creating an entire universe would clearly not require that we ignore our brains in order that we be saved from eternal torture.

10. tyler bonynge August 23, 2010 at 10:46 pm #

Posted by Mr. Jon Richt, >>>>”No Eric. Absolutes exist, but they’re systemic. 2+2=4 is an absolute statement, but that’s true only because we human beings have defined the symbols “2 4 + =”, and know how to assemble those symbols to communicate ideas. 2+2=4 is absolutely true because we have defined it to be true.”<<<>>At no point can a computer do something outside of what its been created to do; which, by saying that a computer that is supposed to work as it should, were to get a virus, (maybe by getting into something it shouldn’t have been into) that interfered communication between 2 things thus making problems for the system, goes against what was originally meant for the computer…..almost like life today in comparison to the computer analogy…..God made his creation perfect(computer) but sin(virus) entered into the world through disobedience(by doing something it shouldn’t have been doing) and as a result, it ruined the relationship between creator and creation and a curse was put on his creation. (interfered communication between 2 things thus making problems for the system). The Bible starts us off by the creation of all things over a 6 day period, it goes on to say that sin (as i have mentioned above) ruined a uncorrupted relationship with God, he cursed his creation because of sin, he later flooded this world globally because of sin, which is a plausable explanation towards why are geography is the way it is today and you can most certainly not disprove it as being true, and he is to judge this world again with finality soon. He had a boat for salvation during the days of Noah, he now has himself for salvation through our King Jesus when the fires come…its the ultimate “fire insurance” policy you can find.

11. Jack Napper August 24, 2010 at 12:16 am #

“Jon, I hold to the worldview that says we CAN have absolutes. My worldview makes sense of driving on the right side of the road. The atheist worldview is the one that says there are no absolutes! The atheist worldview is the one we have to be careful of. The fact that you know there are absolutes shows your belief in God and His Word. Please repent of your sin and trust in Christ!”

I love this. It appear you’ve gone from absolutes exist to “CAN have absolutes”. Then you argue it against a similar but different viewpoint.

You: we can have absolute
    Atheist (according to you): there are none

You: I say I CAN have a poka dot Power Ranger MegaZord
    Atheist: There are no poka dot PW MegaZords

Wow Eric!

OK Eric you believe you can have absolutes but where are they? Can you give me an example of an absolute truth?

So then, lets first recall that for something to be absolute it must :
    1.) Exist Independently
    2.) Exist not in relation to other things
    3.) Exist not relative to other things
    4.) Be true for every possible circumstance

A.) State a truth
    B.) Demonstrate for us how that truth satisfies 1 – 4 above
    C.) Show how that truth is not “Systemic”

12. Rocky Salit August 24, 2010 at 6:39 am #

I have actually read part of Dr. Lisle’s book and seen a presentation by Dr. Lisle over the book. One of the things that made me laugh was when he talked about different logical fallacies saying why they are logical fallacies and what problems they can create. Then immediately used several logical fallacies (appeal to authority is the one I specifically remember) in the following slide trying to prove his own point.

The main problem with Lisle’s and Sye’s argument is that logic is axiomatic. The only way to disprove logic is to use logic.

13. Jon Richt August 24, 2010 at 9:24 am #

Hi Tyler,

That’s an interesting analogy, but I have to ask why you posted it here. The topic was about how we discern truth, not sin or fallen creations…

14. J T Cole August 24, 2010 at 10:53 am #

Mr. Hovind,

I want to thank you for your ministry. Watching Dr. Hovind’s seminars was absolutely amazing. It was life changing for me and an affirmation of my faith.

Dawkins is so religious. He is on a crusade to turn everyone into an athiest. I barely listen to what he says. He’s a brilliant scientist but not a good philospher. If you have a chance, if you haven’t heard it, you should definitely listen to Ravi Zacharias’ response to one of Dawkins’ well known statements about how he feels about God. It absolutely blew the statment that Dawkins made out of the water. When I say it was brilliant, it was brilliant. It completely makes his statement look idiotic and that’s not a light or empty charge. I can send you the clip if you’d like.

I’ve read some of the comments from the other blogs posted and some of these people are downright indignant. They bicker, argue, call you stupid, go toe to toe, and are in short exhausting. They act as if something is wrong with you and me because we don’t believe we are the result of billions of years of mistakes and failures.

I want to encourage you. DO NOT STOP THIS MINISTRY!!! It is a singular light between reason and insanity.

15. Adam Staples August 24, 2010 at 9:52 pm #

Tyler, are you absolutely sure that there is oxygen in the air?

16. Joshua Powell August 25, 2010 at 3:56 pm #

I’ll do a simple analogy of the “There are no absolutes” claim.

“This statement does not exist.”

It is a self-contradicting statement. All we claim is there CAN be absolutes. I have a set of beliefs as to what some absolutes are. It is impossible to correctly state that there are no absolutes because in order to be universal, it has to be an absolute.

17. Jon Richt August 26, 2010 at 7:29 am #

Yes Joshua, but unfortunately the same reasoning shows that all we can claim is that “there might be no absolutes”.

You’ve neatly eviscerated Eric’s feeble argument. The best he can ever hope to claim accurately is that God and absolutes might exist. Based on this, I’m willing to bet he’d reject the reasoning you’ve used here.