Learn the Bible: Talk to an Atheist

If you really want to learn your Bible, a great way is to talk to an atheist. This exercise will force you to know why you believe what you believe so that you can give an answer, just as we are told to do in 1 Peter 3:15. Just a thought, but if you are not sharing your faith, I have to wonder why. Could it be that you are not convinced yourself that it is true? If you really knew the truth, wouldn’t you want to shout it from the rooftops? Come on Christians, we have the truth, now share it!

Leave11 Responses to testLearn the Bible: Talk to an Atheist

1. Rocky Salit September 1, 2010 at 7:43 am #

Says something about Christians if most atheists know the Bible better than they do.

2. Chris P September 1, 2010 at 8:37 am #

Bring them on. The last time the Jehovah’s witnesses visited I was able to refute everything they said. Plus, the were not able to tell me why there are so many different versions of Christianity with people believing in different things given that the Bible is inerrant.

3. Joakim Rosqvist September 1, 2010 at 11:03 am #

>> a great way is to talk to an atheist.

You might also try to /listen/ to the atheist – he might have something interesting to say too.

4. Nigel McNaughton September 1, 2010 at 3:56 pm #

Just this week a blogger at Everyday Christian said we were lying and that Psalm 137:9 didn’t exist.

5. Ryan Vinter September 1, 2010 at 4:20 pm #

yeah i got converted from your seminars. It has taken me a few months to learn the info and understand it and believe it.
    I cant’ wait to study the bible now but u guys are currently out of stock awws :( lol

There is a video that is out there called “the god who wasn’t there” and i wanna do video response to this because its very anti-bible and anti Christian. But yes i do wan to to read the bible.

6. Eric Idle September 1, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

You won’t so much ‘learn your bible’ as you will learn about your bible. The fact that it has dubious origins, has suffered poor translations and interpretations. The fact that parts have been added and deleted. That each change brings another alteration in meaning and emphasis. Then each denomination or sect puts it’s own spin on it to suit their purposes. It is contradictory and selectively applied.

7. Jon Richt September 2, 2010 at 9:31 am #

I actually think I agree with you on this one, Eric.

Technically, talking to an atheist wont help you learn the Bible, but it will help you understand the nature of your faith: how much of it do you believe, and how strongly do you believe it…

8. Michael Sousa September 2, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

Chris P
    I wouldn’t trust a Jehovah witness either!!
    I will be praying for your soul! Jehovah’s witnesses I wouldn’t consider Christians. They are just another sect of religion that get put in with all the other manifested religions of “Christianity” like (Luthern, Catholic,Methodist, Presbytrian, etc.). These are religions with traditions that were created by man.
    These religions were created for control and power, etc.
    A true Christian believes the word of GOD “Bible”, (not the Pope or any man!), and accepts Jesus Christ’s gift of salvation!
    I would enjoy talking with you about GOD’s word!!

9. Julie Collins September 3, 2010 at 11:15 am #

this makes me wonder… if atheism and evolutionism is not a religion, why do all atheist and evolutionist i have seen go on the religion section of most message forums, and also say they know more about the bible than most people?

to me that screams: religion!

10. Nigel McNaughton September 5, 2010 at 1:11 am #

It’s apparently a mystery to Julie why people might want to take the time and correct the lies being told about them.

Plus as PZ Myers said, some of us just can’t help but respond to stupid.

11. Jon Richt September 5, 2010 at 8:08 am #

It only screams religion if you turn your brain off, Julie.

I’ve read the Bible cover-to-cover twice, and continue to read it casually to this day. Having done so is one of the reasons I remain an unbeliever.

by contrast, there are few Creationists who can articulate the theory of evolution without being fundamentally (ha!) wrong. I’m not talking “interpret the ToE poorly”. I mean “Lie about what it actually states”.

Objective morality that justifies lying is not a morality worth bragging about.