Two Questions for Unbelievers

What if you could destroy someone’s worldview with just two simple questions? Two very powerful, but very careful questions. It is interesting to see that when Jesus uses this same tactic of asking the right questions, He is able to silence the religious leaders of His day. In Mark 11:30 Jesus asked a question that forced the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders to retreat in silence. His question put them between a rock and a hard place. These were the well-educated, the smartest and the brightest, the foremost teachers of the day. Yet a great question was able to stop them in their tracks. You can do the same thing, and here are a couple of questions that will shut the mouth of the unbeliever.

The first question is designed to get the unbeliever to admit that you have a “path” to certainty; the second simply points out that he does not.

With this question the unbeliever is forced to say yes. If he says no, he would be giving an absolute statement that he cannot support. How could any intellectually honest individual say that an omnipotent and omniscient being could not reveal some things to us in a way that we can know them for certain?
Once he has admitted that the God of the Bible CAN do this, then you are ready to ask question number 2.

Question #2: How do you know anything for certain?

This question focuses on the fact that ultimately an unbeliever will have to say that he cannot know anything for certain—which, of course, is a “certain” or “absolute” statement. How can we say that we can’t know anything for certain? Even my 7-year-old daughter saw through that one.  I was discussing with her the fact that some people believe that we can’t know anything, to which she responded, “How do they know that?” I could not help but see the simplicity of the argument at that time.

The Christ follower has an avenue to truth; the unbeliever’s own logic cannot account for knowledge. You either have to know everything to know anything, or you have to know someone who knows everything to know something! Think about that!

Leave38 Responses to testTwo Questions for Unbelievers

1. Rocky Salit August 25, 2010 at 8:27 am #

It is because the human mind is fallible and can be deceived by any higher power (you believe in a great deceiver in the form of Satan). The person would have to know everything about what was revealed and about the entity revealing it to determine that what was revealed was something they could know for certain, for which they already knew as they knew everything about what was revealed.

Question #2: How do you know anything for certain?

This is a philosophical question, but the simple answer is axioms or self-evident evidence. Things like cogito ergo sum. Also things like mathematics where the definitions are provided in a precise manner. For example in Base 5 counting or higher |2| + |2| = 4. In logic things like the law of non-contradiction (A cannot be not A). These are all axioms which cannot be proven or falsified, because any proof or disproof must use the axiom itself prior to reaching the conclusion. These are the foundations for building everything we know today, including the computer and networks used to type this all on.

This question focuses on the fact that ultimately an unbeliever will have to say that he cannot know anything for certain, which, of course, is a “certain” or “absolute” statement.

This is a statement of presupposition dishonesty. You are now conflating two different definitions into one. You are conflating the definition of certain or absolute meaning “Definite; fixed:” or “Not to be doubted or questioned; positive” with what would be more of a “Capable of being relied on; dependable”. In other words, it only has to be objectively and tentatively true, not absolutely true.

I was discussing with her the fact that some people believe that we can’t know anything, to which she responded, “How do they know that?” I could not help but see the simplicity of the argument at that time.

Now you are creating a straw man. Most of the people that argue against this do not say we can’t know anything (although there are a few in the minority), even if they say we cannot know something absolutely. Knowing something absolutely and knowing something are two different things that you have conflated here.

The Christ follower has an avenue to truth;

Actually you have just asserted that it is your God that provides it, without actually proving your God. Any God can replace your God and make the same argument, including obviously made up things such as the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Invisible Pink Unicorn.

the unbeliever’s own logic cannot account for knowledge.

All knowledge is built up from the axioms I described earlier.

False dichotomy, you can also know something objectively and tentatively to be true, which is how the computer you wrote this on works. Again these are built up from axioms, but they can be wrong. We have no evidence of them being wrong, so they tentatively true until evidence is shown they are wrong. We know they are objectively true because they correspond with some thing in reality (we of course accept that reality is true as an axiom).

2. Jay Liverstitch August 25, 2010 at 8:36 am #

Question 1:

Yes it’s possible. I’ve never denied that it’s entirely possible that you are correct, that the Christian Bible is God’s word and he has revealed this to you through revelation such that you can know it for certain.

But I have to revert back to our discussion on Friday, what good does this possibility do me? I can agree that it’s possible you’re right, but that doesn’t convince me that you ARE in fact right. I would simply have to take you for your word (as you have yet to present any of the evidence I requested). You may claim you have a path to truth, but that’s not the same thing as having truth itself. Nor is this the same as actually having a path to truth. All you’ve done is claimed that you have such a path; a thus far unsubstantiated claim.

Question 2:

Perhaps I can’t know anything for certain (perhaps I can). But this situation holds the converse of the above, just because I can’t be certain that I’m correct on some subject, doesn’t mean that I’m NOT correct on that subject.

The two counterpoints above demonstrate why your reasoning is useless. Note that I define it as “useless” not “wrong”. You may be right, but your arguments are not sufficient to demonstrate that you’re right.

I can also ask myself this question “Is it possible that Eric Hovind is psychologically delusional?” The answer from my perspective is, yes, it’s possible. Without you demonstrating to me through some method that I can witness that a) you are not in fact delusional, and b) you did receive some revelation and it did come from the God you describe, your argument in this post is absolutely meaningless to me. Again I restate, that doesn’t mean that you’re not right, it only means that you argument is of no use in showing me that you are right.

So now I have 2 questions for you Eric.

1. Is it possible that the universe was created by Karl Malden in 1950 so that he could star in such classic movies as “On the Waterfront” and “Patton”? I claim that Karl Malden revealed this to me in such a way that I can know it for certain, just before he died 2008. Furthermore, Karl revealed to me that the Christian God was an invention by George C. Scott, and all believers in this God are under a delusion of his design.

2. How can you know for certain that the Christian God is not a delusion brought about through the whim of George C. Scott?

The above seems silly to you, as it should. But understand that this is precisely how you sound to me. I can’t know that you’re not just making empty assertions based on your own fantasy (or someone else’s fantasy).

This is more or less a restating of my question that you addressed this past Friday, “How can I, as an outside observer, discern between the claims you make, and the claims of every other religious person who makes similar claims of knowledge through revelation?”

Does your God really expect me to just take your word for truth, without examining it for accuracy? That’s what you seem to expect. (I know, you’ll say you expect me to read God’s word and take it for truth, but how do I know what is “God’s word” until some person tells me which scripture to read; the Bhagavad Gita?, the Koran? After all, how did you learn that the Christian Bible was God’s word? Your father told you, didn’t he?)

In the end, these arguments based on presuppositional apologetics are useless to anyone who doesn’t already hold your beliefs. In my opinion they are only useful for shielding you from having to think critically and to avoid the risk of having your beliefs threatened.

Jay

3. Jay Liverstitch August 25, 2010 at 8:26 am #

Eric, I’m going to respond to your two questions, but first, I’d like to ask you the following question:

If you choose to respond, I’ll explain why I ask such a question.

4. Jon Richt August 25, 2010 at 8:40 am #

I like chicken vindaloo.
    2+2=4
    Absolutes do not exist.

Which of these are absolute statements? None.

In order for them to be so, I would need absolute infallible knowledge to know that they’re true in all cases and at all times. I lack such knowledge and readily admit it.

I do not like chicken vidaloo when served on a mud floor. 2+2 does not equal 4 in a base 3 counting system. Absolutes may exist but I am unable to perceive them as such.

They’re opinions, Eric, not absolute statements. Your two questions are feckless, and really, you should study your presuppositional apologetics before trying to parrot them to other people.

5. Jon Richt August 25, 2010 at 8:46 am #

In my last comment, the word “opinions” should be replaced by “subjective assertions”. Liking chicken vindaloo is definitely an opinion, but showing there are cases in which I wouldn’t like it reveals the statement as subjective. 2+2=4 is definitely not an opinion, but it’s not an absolute either.

6. Jay Liverstitch August 25, 2010 at 8:48 am #

One last comment.

If you want reasons why I don’t accept your worldview Eric, it’s because an infinite God could do better than this.

You claim to have access to infinite wisdom, and yet you use arguments that I abandoned when I was 12. “I’m right and you can’t prove that I’m not!” is a line of reasoning that I surely hope the God of the universe would’ve outgrown about 13.7 billion years ago. If not, then I say we’re all in big trouble.

Jay

7. Geno Castagnoli August 25, 2010 at 9:26 am #

Still trotting out Sye’s sad “presuppositional apologetics”. By the way, this argument amounts to little more than: “I’m right because I say I’m right.”

OK…. here’s a question for Eric:
    Is it possible for an omnipotent, omniscient being to cause us to believe things are true when they are really false?

Sye said that is possible. Here’s the one Sye NEVER answered… maybe Eric will:
    If it is possible for an omnipotent, omniscient being to cause us to believe things that are not true, how can we know ANYTHING for certain?

In the presence of such a being, it is always possible that what we think we know is really false.

Go ahead, Eric, run that question by your 7 year old daughter. I bet even she will see the problem for claims of certainty in the presence of a God who is capable of causing us to believe that which is false to be true.

8. Vinny McMullen August 25, 2010 at 9:44 am #

Yep. I have been going over your Sye T. interviews trying to get a grasp on these concepts. Thx CSE!

9. Jack Napper August 25, 2010 at 11:06 am #

“Question #1: Is it possible that the God of the Bible could reveal some things to us in such a way that we can know them for certain?”

I always loved the way this question is asked. It’s framed so that the only possible answer is YES.

“With this question the unbeliever is forced to say yes. If he says no, he would be giving an absolute statement that he cannot support.”

No Eric, he’s forced to say YES because of the way in which you constructed the question. You could easily replace ‘God of the bible’ with Zeus, Allah, Shiva, Vishnu, Devi, Surya or Ganesha. Even if he did say NO it would not be absolute but systemic.

Interestingly enough you’re next tactic will be claiming that God indeed did do this. You’ll claim that the Atheist KNOWS there is a God and that they just wanna, blah blah blah. So I ask you if you’re God of the Bible did in fact do this to make man know in absolute, would he actually be able to deny it? Then it’s not absolute. It’s not certain.

“Question #2: How do you know anything for certain?”

We cannot. We can know things systemically. While you can claim you can indeed know things to be absolute you cannot give us an example of an absolute nor demonstrate that you do. You merely reduce yourself to logical fallacies like circular reasoning, begging the question, shifting the burden of proof and the childish game called infinite regression.

I look forward to the possibility that this post will not be published. Color me shocked if it is.

10. Charles Haley August 25, 2010 at 11:27 am #

Since the “God of the Bible” can not be seen, heard, or sensed in any way, it is not possible for him to “reveal” anything, which makes question #2 a moot point.

11. Nigel McNaughton August 25, 2010 at 1:05 pm #

Already answered these questions in response to previous blog posts.

I asked how you verify that your brain is working ok. And how you determine truth from a lie when a God could fool you in to “knowing” that the lie is true.

Until you are able to answer those your questions are pretty meaningless.

12. Joshua Powell August 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm #

Wow. I didn’t realize just how logic-lacking the critics’ responses could be until actually reading some, especially that 2+2=4 but not in base-3 argument. That’s just ridiculous. This is MATH we’re dealing with. All you’re doing is changing the way you write it.
    This many lines: ||
    Plus this many lines: ||
    ALWAYS equals this many lines: ||||
    This is kindergarten material. What base you choose to represent it in is entirely irrelevant. Saying that 2+2 doesn’t equal 4 because it might be in base 3 is like saying that a dog isn’t always a dog because it could be a chien (“dog” in French). It’s only that way because of the way you choose to write it.

And to those people criticizing this blog for failing to prove God exists… you’re right, but that’s not the purpose. The purpose is to show that the belief that we absolutely cannot know anything cannot be true, and get the reader to think about how we can know it. What you critics are doing is looking at a Ford Focus and criticizing it for not performing like a Ferrari. This is just a tiny slice of the picture. Don’t criticize it for not being the whole thing.

13. Nigel McNaughton August 25, 2010 at 4:41 pm #

Charles clearly hasn’t read his bible lately (still not sure you are a fake), God was Seen, heard and sensed in many ways in the bible, so I really don’t understand your post at all.

14. Joshua Berndt August 25, 2010 at 6:09 pm #

Jay: “Does your God really expect me to just take your word for truth, without examining it for accuracy? That’s what you seem to expect. (I know, you’ll say you expect me to read God’s word and take it for truth, but how do I know what is “God’s word” until some person tells me which scripture to read;”

Me: The Bereans mentioned in the Bible were more noble because they did not just swallow what they were told but checked the Scriptures to see if what they were being told was accurate. You say that you cannot know what is God’s Word until some person tells you what Scripture to read. O.K. Read the Holy Bible. Start in John, then Romans.

Jay: “In the end, these arguments based on presuppositional apologetics are useless to anyone who doesn’t already hold your beliefs.”

Me: Eric is not trying to argue you into salvation. He is using argument and logic to try to start you on a path to where you read/hear the good news of repentance and trust in Jesus.

Jay: “In my opinion they are only useful for shielding you from having to think critically and to avoid the risk of having your beliefs threatened.
    Jay”

Me: Eric Hovind is the son of Dr. Kent Hovind. Trust me, I am sure he thinks critically. But after a person has sufficiently proven to themselves a fact, they no longer need to daily critique it. If you are married, do you wake up each day and reconvince yourself that you are married? No. Secondly, again, he is the son of Dr. Kent Hovind. If he was trying to avoid his beliefs being challenged by others, would he be doing this for a living? He was taught about God by his Parents. They introduced him to a belief in God, but they did not expect him to just follow along in their beliefs or swallow everything he was told. Do you just tell your children, “Kids, 2+2=4.” “Why is that, Daddy?” “Shut up and just believe me.” No. You explain it to them and they either believe as well, or they don’t. If you love science, and you seem to, also try reading the book of Job. In this book, God speaks to Job and tells him how that the Earth revolves upon an axis and spins, tells him that light causes wind, that the Earth is a circle, that the Sun has its own circuit in space(which it does), that the deep has springs, which was not discovered until the 1960’s, that the Earth hangs upon nothing, and many other things. It is very interesting.

15. Jack Napper August 25, 2010 at 6:29 pm #

@Jay

“Did God reveal the truth to you through special revelation? That is, did God personally confer knowledge to you that is not held by, or available to the rest of humanity, apart from them also receiving the same revelation from God? ”

This of course is where Eric (or any Theist) will try and come in with something they think is clever like “God only reveals himself to believers” or some other variation. Of course this becomes a whole barrel of laughs in and of itself.

I think Atheists will stop laughing at theists when they can at least be honest about what Atheism is rather than constructing endless comedic arguments.

16. Charles Haley August 25, 2010 at 10:10 pm #

[quote]Charles clearly hasn’t read his bible lately (still not sure you are a fake), God was Seen, heard and sensed in many ways in the bible[/quote]

Not by me or anybody I know. You are assuming the bible is true. I am not.

17. Leonard Ciciarelli August 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm #

Hey Rocky Salit,

I think you’re missing something here. The God of the Bible is ALL POWERFUL so I think He can handle revealing something to us that we can know for certain.

18. I.B. Trolling August 25, 2010 at 10:34 pm #

Yes. BUT this question is based on a faulty assumption; that being with such qualities as omnipotence can …exist in the first place. Never assume what you’re trying to prove.

Question #2: How do you know anything for certain?

I DON’T know anything for certain. I’m always on the cusp of what is known, never absolutely certain about anything. Things make sense (or they don’t) only insofar as they are consistent (or not) with the rest of reality.

That’s how science works.

19. Nigel McNaughton August 25, 2010 at 11:14 pm #

Leonard, that only works if you are going to claim infallibility

I mean it’s a nice phrase to say, but it’s hard to see how it’s supposed to work in reality, it doesn’t address any of the problems already bought up in this thread.

I accept you can believe you know something, but unless you are claiming God like powers of omniscience then there isn’t a workable way of saying you know X is true.

20. Rocky Salit August 26, 2010 at 7:01 am #

Leonard Ciciarelli said…

No, I am not, please read my reasons above and I will explain in further detail here.

Any being with any kind of God-like powers compared to us could make it seem to us that we could possibly know for certain. I am assuming that you accept the idea of Satan the great deceiver. Also any alien intelligence that is able to reach us, could be so far advanced that they could appear as Gods to us (imagine going back in time with several pieces of technology that we have now). Not to mention God has even stated in the Bible that he will allow us to stay in our deceptions (2 Thessalonians 2:9-12). Notice the word “seem”. I do not argue that, but for us to be certain we would have to know one of two things.

The first is everything about what is revealed. You can’t actually know for certain that you are not being lied too without knowing everything about what you are being told. If you say that you were able to confirm the revelation, then you were not certain as you looked into it further. Also if you already know everything about what is being revealed, then what is the point of the revelation(as you already knew it)?

The second is you have to know everything about the source that is revealing it to you. Is the source truly the God of the Bible and not Satan or Aliens or Eris or Loki or Coyote or any of the other myriad of trickster Gods that have been posited. Also you have to know that the source revealing it would never lie nor allow you to continue to be deceived by yourself. I just pointed out that God will allow you to continue to be deceived (another example is the Pharaoh in Exodus, he wanted to let the Hebrew people go, but God continued to harden his heart further, as the Pharaoh started with a hard heart, instead of letting the heart soften). As you said the God of the Bible is all-powerful and thus could convince you that the Earth is flat in a way that you would seem to know for certain, even though that would be a lie. So you would have to know everything about the source revealing it to you and know their motivations and thoughts (and who can know the mind of God? Isaiah 40:13, 1 Corinthians 2:11-16).

21. Jon Richt August 26, 2010 at 7:21 am #

Hi Josh. You wrote the following IRT my previous comment:
    This many lines: ||
    Plus this many lines: ||
    ALWAYS equals this many lines: ||||

Unless |||| is represented by IV, or maybe |||| means “kill the unbelievers”. Right?

The point you’re missing is that truth is communicated via language, and language is imprecise. There are any number of reasons for the statement 2+2=4 being meaningless. It is not absolute – it is relative. And if such a simple statement like that can’t be seen as absolute truth, then really, nothing else can.

Eric’s argument boils down to I believe in God. And I believe in absolute truth. I can’t prove either of these things, but I believe they exist and so they must. Thus, I have proven they exist.

IRT the purpose of this site and this thread, Eric has not shown that absolutes exist. He has dishonestly asserted that his faith = proof. If he’d simply admit that faith in God’s existence knowledge of God’s existence, I wouldn’t be posting here.

22. Leonard Ciciarelli August 26, 2010 at 10:05 am #

@ Rocky Salit

The Question is, “is it POSSIBLE”. The answer is, of course it is possible.

The question is not whether or not we know anything for certain but whether or not it is POSSIBLE for an ALL POWERFUL God to reveal something to us in such a way that we can know for certain. ALL POWERFUL means ALL POWERFUL.

Yes it is possible for God to deceive people but it is also POSSIBLE for Him to reveal something to us in such a way that we can know for certain. Whether or not it is necessary for us to know everything before we can know something for certain has nothing to do with it. The point is, even if it WAS necessary for us to know everything before we could know something for certain, an All Powerful God could handle it if he wanted to. The question is not whether or not He does this but whether or not He could.

Truth is so plain and simple.

23. Jan Pick August 26, 2010 at 11:29 am #

The God of the Bible is. This is as factual as the statement “the Earth is”.

I googled the statement, “Helen Keller I knew Him but I didn’t know His name” and got many results. “In one of her letters, Helen told Bishop Brooks that she had always known about God, even before she had any words. Even before she could call God anything, she knew God was there. She didn’t know what it was. God had no name for her — nothing had a name for her. She had no concept of a name. But in her darkness and isolation, she knew she was not alone. Someone was with her. She felt God’s love. And when she received the gift of language and heard about God, she said she already knew.”

24. Robert Bruckart August 26, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

Conversely, Eric is not emphasizing that (God exists because I believe God exists), but rather that that (God does not cease to exist because I disbelieve God exists.) Although Christians will probably never be able to “prove” God’s certainty, Christians can surely can progress science by illuminating flawed assumptions and theories that plague academia. Such an effort can compound the accuracy of the Bible.

The bottom line is that there is nothing a Theist can do to “prove” the existence of God to an atheist, regardless of the proofs and discussions taking place here. I remember reading that C.S. Lewis used to argue that Christianity was a complete fabrication, but it certainly was more believable than atheism. There is a reason God demands belief, and a recognition of uncertainty.

25. Colin Samul August 26, 2010 at 9:42 pm #

Jon Richt,

26. Joshua Berndt August 26, 2010 at 11:33 pm #

To the atheists and agnostics: In the end, you are saying that there are no absolutes. The forgiven will then say, “Is that absolutely true?” You may then say, “No. It is what I believe, but no one can be sure.” You then may feel glad that you are able to understand this great truth that there is no known truth, for sure. You may feel that those who are saved are just unable to understand this; that they don’t think enough. So, in the end, you are saying that some of you understand certain things that others do not. Now keep that thought in mind. Jan Pick mentions Helen Keller. Helen Keller was blind. So let’s say a blind man is seen by a man with sight. They are both waiting for a bus that will come. The man given sight says, “The bus is coming.” The blind man replies, “I don’t believe you. You expect me to believe you?” The man given sight says, “I can see it. It IS coming!” The blind says, “You can’t KNOW for sure. I don’t hear it or see it or smell its exhaust.”

27. Rocky Salit August 27, 2010 at 6:23 am #

@Leonard Ciciarelli

Reread what I am saying. I am not questioning the powers of God. I am talking about what the human mind can know. The best one can say is that God can make them seem to know for certain. Look back and read, it does not matter how omnipotent the source of the message is, the doubt comes from the human side not the God side.

28. Geno Castagnoli August 27, 2010 at 7:52 am #

Leonard Ciciarelli wrote:

Geno responds:
    How?

When Sye presented his “presuppostional apologetics” on Eric’s previous blog, and made the claim, I asked this question and NEVER got an answer.

Eric has repeated the claim here and I’m still waiting for an answer.

I ask again:
    If it is possible for God to deceive people, HOW can you know ANYTHING for certain? How can you tell the difference between what you think you know and a deception by God?

29. Jon Richt August 27, 2010 at 7:54 am #

Robert Bruckard wrote the following: Christians will probably never be able to “prove” God’s certainty

I wonder how many of the outspoken Christians would agree with this :) You and I can certainly agree, but evidence suggests Eric would not.

Incidentally, Christians can and do make positive contributions to science, whether by way of critique or hypothesis –> experimentation –> theory. I’ve never met a person who seriously thinks otherwise. With that said, Eric and his father will never do the same for religious belief, because they’re too busy trying to claim they already have the answers.

IRT Colin’s comments to me: Have you absolutely proven that there are no absolute? Are you absolutely sure that Eric has not shown you from that absolute exist? Don’t you have to stand somewhere in order to make any rational/intellectual statement, even the denial of the rational/intellectual? Where are you standing? What are your reasons?

Why have you ignored everything I’ve written? I’ve given my reasoning and explained my “stand” a number of times in this one thread:

Absolutes may exist but I am unable to perceive them as such. The same holds true for Eric. I do not need to prove that they do not, in part because I am unable to but primarily because there is no need to. Eric is the one asserting they do, and the burden of proof is upon him.

Once again, Eric dishonestly equates belief with knowledge. And once again, I would not be posting here if he avoided doing this.

30. Jeff Brace August 27, 2010 at 10:51 am #

That’s because the only answer is yes.

It is said that no one talks more about God than atheists. How true.

31. Vinny McMullen August 27, 2010 at 4:18 pm #

I love the certainty in which many of the “Atheists” and “Agnostics” present their positions.

32. Mike Ayala August 27, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

Wow! What a bunch of meaningless noise – that is unless we all agree by covenant what the words we use do mean. The arcane exceptions given above are artifacts of meaningless noise. If you want certainty, then you have to look to Jesus who said,

“If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed, and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.”

If we allow the words we use to mean what they are generally accepted to mean, and we read the word of God faithfully translated into our language, then all you who are obviously way smarter than me will end up with a big bone in your throat when you encounter the prophecies of God’s word in the Bible which He has already fulfilled – regardless of the impreciseness of the language.

I dare you to give a naturalistic explanation for the phenomenon of fulfilled prophecy in the Bible, prophecies which transcend centuries and millennia; prophecies which are earth shaping and earth shaking. I dare you!

If you do not know what I mean about prophecy, a good place to start is the 70-week prophecy in Daniel Chapter 9, or find a fired-up born-again Christian to explain some of them to you. The folks at http://www.khouse.org would be happy to help you.

If you have any facility with statistical analysis, you will quickly find that the known universe is not big enough nor is there enough matter in it to make a working model to describe the odds of just a handful of prophecies which have already been fulfilled coming to pass just exactly as prophesied.

Jon Richt: A few things which are absolutely demonstrable and certain about which you and I can be more certain through empirical evidence than that your name is Jon Richt and my name is Mike Ayala is that God is; He speaks to each of us whether or not we listen or hear Him; He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross for us paying the penalty for our sin, and that Jesus rose from the dead the third day according to the Scripture.

Grace and blessings to you all,

Mike Ayala

33. Nigel McNaughton August 27, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

It’s hilarious how all the Creationists have to completely ignore all the problems that have bought up time and time again. Too uncomfortable to answer?

34. Chris Roden August 28, 2010 at 7:29 am #

2 Timothy 4 (King James Version)

2 Timothy 4
    1I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
    2Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
    3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
    5But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

Hrmmm….. sounds like he said you people would come.

1 Timothy 4 (King James Version)

1 Timothy 4
    1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
    2Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
    3Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
    4For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
    5For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

It is you evolutionist who set there and tell us seducing spirits [pharmacopiea] (alcohol and man made medicine) is perfectly ok. Where God said

Genesis 1:29 (King James Version)

29And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

It is you, evolutionist, who’s concience has been seared by a hot iron to a theory of doctrines of devils. It is you who will be as Lazarus in the lake of fire screaming for forgiveness when it too will be too late. I pray that you see that even The Bible says that you will come. Even if the ancient alien theory is real, who is the Alpha and Omega, Beginning and End? Who says that He will return? JESUS CHRIST and he is comming to a world near you to cast judgement on your wicked Satan filled souls.
    My ?’s to you is this.

Have you ever seen and atom? How do you know they exist? Have you ever traveled to Alpha Centauri? How do you know that it is really billions and billions of miles away? Have you ever seen air? Then how do you know that it too is real? Because air could just be less dense water if u ask me.Ever had the thought that God put the stars in the sky, to make stupid people like you ask questions? Ever thought that there HAS TO BE SOMETHING GREATER THAT PUT THE ATOMS IN YOUR BODY TOGETHER? If God is not real, then why in Genisis, does it say that He made Adam from the dust of the Earth. Does not your body contain Carbon, Iron, Copper, and other minerals from the earth? How then, did people know so much about what we are made up of? Have you ever felt that there just might be some things that are unexplainable, and you will never be able to explain it?

35. Chris Roden August 28, 2010 at 7:43 am #

also, how sure are you that 2+2=4 when the two could be 1.99999. Even Pi is an endless number. so 1.99999+1.99999=3.99998. There is no such thing as a perfect 2 nor any perfect number. It looks good on paper, but in measurement and geometry you can asume nothing. Y? because nothing is perfect. Its like we say at work, the people in the office make it look good on paper, but they do not know how it really works because the refuse to understand that nothing will ever work perfectly. So in this case, you can make it look good on paper and say that there is an exact 2, but we all know that there will always be a decimal point in reality. PERIOD! We as man, are imperfect creatures. I know that even the unbelievers and evolutionist will say Nobody is perfect. Well I know 1 perfect man, 1 perfect God. His name is Jesus Christ and he loves you with all His heart, but if you refuse to love him back, He will say “Depart from me, for I never knew you”. Basically, you would have never existed.

36. Mike Ayala August 28, 2010 at 4:59 pm #

Hi Chris,

Heisenberg set aside, do not fall into the same trap that Einstein did: The same God who created Heaven and Earth, space and time can also make lightening strike simultaneously or make a perfect 2 for measurement sake. Our limitations of perception and technical skill do not rule out the possibility of it existing. It is easy and all too convenient for us to define something out of existence when we have neither the power nor authority to do so. Remember, there are two types of people in the world: those who divide the world into two groups of people and those who do not.

Our God created mathematics and He uses it in breath-taking ways for His glory and for our benefit. When we see His fingerprints all over His creation, we can only humbly praise and worship Him for His awesome wisdom and ways which are past finding out.

Donald in Mathmagic Land does a nice job, albeit most likely unintentionally, of showing some of Jesus’ handiwork using mathematics (maths for you British folks) in creation. (Hey Eric, is that another theme for a DVD for you to produce?)

God bless you, and may you one day hear Jesus joyfully say to you, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

Mike Ayala

37. Leonard Ciciarelli August 29, 2010 at 10:22 am #

@ Geno Castagnoli

Geno asks:

Answer: I don’t think any honest saved person would suggest that Faith in God and in what He said is not necessary for human beings. This world is the place for TRUST and heaven is the place for UNDERSTANDING. That being said, God has revealed himself in so many ways to his creation. Not to acknowledge the overwhelming evidence of God’s existence is to be willingly ignorant. We must do right and obey our creator.

38. Julie Collins August 30, 2010 at 4:29 am #

i am glad i am not a non-believer… i believe in god so i am able to answer these questions…