We recently received this email from a reader, addressing a very real concern for many Christian parents:
Hi, long story short I never paid much attention to the Atheist point of view until recently when I watched the Sye/Dillahunty debate.
What I noticed was that a lot of prominent atheists (e.g. Dillahunty, David Smalley, Seth Andrews, etc.), it sounds like they came from good, Christian households with godly parents.
My question, I have 2 young kids – ages 3 and 5. Do you have any suggestions on how to raise my children so they don’t fall into the same pitfalls as the atheists I mentioned above?
I know that’s not an easy question, but I’m looking for ideas or resources you may suggest to help. Thanks for your help.
Thank you for contacting Creation Today with your question.
That is indeed a sobering thought and needful reminder. While none of us can guarantee the salvation of our children (John 1:13), we are definitely commanded to bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Ephesians 4:6). But how?
1. Be an example of Christ to them. (1 Corinthians 11:1)
2. Pray fervently for their souls. (James 5:16)
3. Teach them truth throughout the day. (Deuteronomy 6:6-9)
4. Set aside time each day for Family Prayer and Bible Study. (Matthew 4:4)
5. Homeschool or enroll in a Christian School that upholds Truth. (Psalm 1:1)
6. Attend a Bible-believing and Christ-honoring church. (Hebrews 10:25)
7. Saturate them with truth. (John 17:17)
Above all, seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit and His wisdom to direct you in all your ways. (Proverbs 3:5-7)
Children who are brought up in a true home go out trained and equipped for life’s battles and tasks, carrying in their hearts a secret of strength which will make them brave and loyal to God, and will keep them pure in the world’s severest temptations.” ~J.R. Miller