Back to School with Evolution: Speak Up or Stay Quiet?

I just started earth science class and evolution is part of the curriculum. I feel it is my duty to speak up. I hate the thought of my classmates being taught lies and the real possibility of their not getting saved or seeing God if they believe the evolution stuff. I feel led to speak up. What do I do?

Keeping quiet may be the easy way to get through the class, but it does not help others as you said. “We are the salt of the earth” (Matthew 5:13). One of salt’s many duties is to preserve. The world is rotting because so many Christians have failed to be salty and preserve their little area from corruption. Maybe God has placed you in that class as salt. (See Esther 4:14.)

I’ve also recently been told that the public school community is finally realizing that the materialistic world is not all there is, so it is starting to open back up to spirituality. However, it seems to be turning more to Eastern religions than to Christianity in some cases. This is based on a misconception that Christianity is a militant religion (the Crusades, the Inquisition), and many people are searching for peace. Also, in public schools in the past, some fundamental Christians have been harsh in their tones and actions. Because of this we need to take special care not to be argumentative, but thoughtful. We must strive to come across as caring, not belligerent, in our attitudes and actions.

We need to be wise in guiding vital truth around others’ mental roadblocks. If you do this right, you may help the other students, the teacher, and his future students and come out a better Christian as well. Remember, salt does irritate open wounds. Be as gentle as possible. Don’t try to purposefully irritate, but keep in mind it can happen.

Are you ready?

Help! I'm Being Taught Evolution

Help! I’m Being Taught Evolution In My Earth Science Class!
A resource with practical steps for confronting evolution in the classroom.
Book or Download

Leave17 Responses to testBack to School with Evolution: Speak Up or Stay Quiet?

1. Joakim Rosqvist August 26, 2010 at 10:31 am #

>> I just started earth science class and evolution is part of the curriculum.

Congratulations, this is a win-win situation for you no matter what you believe.
    If you accept science you get to learn how various life-forms have evolved over the past billions of years, how fossils, DNA and other evidence point to a common ancestor for all living things on Earth and how we can benefit from this knowledge in medicine and in computing through genetic algorithms.

If you have been brought up to believe that religion is so important that facts have to be ignored or distorted to preserve it, you get to know more about the details of evolution so you will be able to find new creative ways to misunderstand and misrepresent it in arguments with non-believers.

2. Jon Richt August 26, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

Interesting article. What I think you should have informed the young student of, however, was the difference between faith and knowledge. Portraying them as equivalent is dishonest, and dishonesty is supposedly a sin…

3. Jon Richt August 26, 2010 at 12:11 pm #

Incidentally, your son recently advocated the destroying of world views of people he disagrees with. If this is not belligerent, then nothing is.

4. David Ray August 26, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

I agree completely with Kent on this one but for vastly different reasons. The student should speak up for two main reasons.

1. As a teacher myself, I prefer for students to ask questions in class because more often than not, other students have the same question. It’s likely that other students have similar reservations. Any competent science teacher should be able to put the student at ease and direct him or her to reputable sources on the subject of evolution. The competent science teacher and these reputable sources will then serve to relieve him/her of the nonsensical ideas about evolution that he is getting from people like Kent and Eric.

2. I think open dialogue on this subject is very valuable. I and other scientists for the past 150 years have critically analyzed evolutionary theory and have found it to be one of the strongest scientific concepts ever devised to understand the world around us. This is the job of real scientists – to question assumptions and determine which ones hold up in the face of the questions. This student should do the same thing and I wholehearted suggest that they do.

5. Nigel McNaughton August 26, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

And if you actually had some evidence that wasn’t religiously motivated apologetics, that would be good.

6. Nigel McNaughton August 26, 2010 at 7:07 pm #

Here is a question for Believers, is it wrong to use fake quotes?

7. David Ray August 27, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

Oh, come on Kent et al. Are my arguments so devastating that you won’t even let them on the board? Why are half of my posts never posted?

8. Mike Ayala August 27, 2010 at 4:15 pm #

Dear Dr. Hovind,

Excellent article. Amen.

You were sure right about those with mental road blocks. It seems the salt is doing its work, and those who need it most are coming to you.

Praise God that He is mighty, and that the weapons of our warfare are not carnal (not physical as in flesh and blood), but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, (even willful ignorance) bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

Might I also suggest that one who would stand up and speak out first receive the power of God to be witnesses to Him for His glory, as Jesus said,

“But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Those who have the harsh and obnoxious words are probably like Peter before Peter received that power of the Spirit of God coming upon him filling him with the Spirit in Acts Chapter 2: remember how Peter cut off Malchus’ ear.

If we try in our own power and understanding to accomplish the will of God, we will most likely be like Peter before the Spirit of God came upon him and deny our Lord by keeping quiet, or we will leave a trail of chopped-off ears and oozing wounds. Let us walk in the Spirit bearing the fruit of the Spirit which is God’s supernatural agape love.

My favorite chapter in the Bible teaching us how to be filled with the Spirit that we might be witnesses to Jesus is Luke Chapter 1 in which those who believed the word of God were filled with the Spirit of God and could not help but speak forth the word of God – even John in the womb was filled with the Spirit: though he could not speak he still leap for joy at the sound of Mary’s voice, and John was even then a witness to Christ.

God bless and protect you.

With the deepest love and respect,

Mike Ayala

9. Jeff Brace August 27, 2010 at 4:32 pm #

‎”Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do after his good pleasure.” George Whitefield

You refuse the evidence because you hate the idea of a Creator and the consequences of that choice. What does a man profit if he gains the whole world and loses his soul. The evidence is all around you. Just open your eyes because there is no excuse in the end. All will stand before the throne to make an accounting of their lives.

To take the truth from our children and lead them on a path of destruction is beyond words of expression.

10. Ryan Vinter August 28, 2010 at 3:17 am #

Wow guys!

Joakim is completely retarded. No! evolution has never happened where is the proof, oh thats right u guys dropped it?

Jon is ignorant of the difference of faith and knowledge?
    then he says that dishonesty is a sin? Then speculates that he wishes to destroy the faith of others against evolution theory?

Nigel is probably the most often to post & also admits he has not done archaeological, scientific, historical or biological research. Thus has per usual he looks even dumber then we all previously thought.

So in conclusion, it would appear that any creationist student could probably out smart any teacher with cse materials. Unfortunately if he does so and does not conform to the most popular errors of the time he will not be thanked, no?, simply by pointing out an error in the text book? quite the opposite in fact.

Why is not possible to simply teach the facts and separate the interpretations out of the facts. This way we can compare the 2 theories with out the need to start wars or exclude others!

Also i think it would be a great learning activity. Evolution is not a fact just keep that in mind.

11. Sam Zech August 28, 2010 at 8:28 am #

Always be prepared to give an answer for the hope that lies within you.

12. Nigel McNaughton August 28, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

Ryan, I am calling you out as a liar. Back up your claims. All you do is insult and run away.

13. David Ray August 29, 2010 at 5:34 am #

Love it. You post my comment complaining about you not posting my comment. But you DON’T post the actual comment that never made it to the blog.

14. Julie Collins August 29, 2010 at 7:24 pm #

i agree, we should speak up for what we believe in, if not having a shouting match at the teacher than at least try to bring creation or intelligent design to be brought up as a alternative. other kids need to know that there is more than one theory out there, it has to be taught that there are multiple theories.

my word of advice, is not to “rat out” the teacher as a lyer, if possible, just have a nice discussion with the teacher after class. if even state it as a question to the teacher. “if it is unknown when the big bang happened, why does the textbook say…”

oh, and a message for Kent Hovind: thankyou for speaking up and saying the truth, it sure helped me renew my faltering faith in god. and i appreciate that. thankyou.

PS. i watched all of your seminars and debates!!!

15. Jon Richt August 30, 2010 at 9:26 am #

Ryan, would you care to comment again? I couldn’t make sense of most of what you wrote…

16. Nigel McNaughton August 30, 2010 at 9:19 pm #

Perhaps Eric could weigh in.

Is it fine to make up claims about other posters without evidence?

Shouldn’t Ryan at least deny the claims that he murdered those children?

17. Phillip Norton August 31, 2010 at 3:46 am #

Bottom line. Evolution has happened and will continue to happen. A friend suggested me to this website in hopes that ” I would see the light”. I am a strong atheist, and this website is a perfect example as to why.

9/10 Christians i speak to are ignorant.

7/10 of the same Christians only go to church and carry a bible and where crosses around the necks so people will see it.

4/10 actually follow the bible, the WHOLE WEEK not just SUNDAY. You cannot sin all week then say “its sunday, let me put on my tie and slacks, cause i believe in god.

2/10 actually have read the bible, which is sad i must admit. Im an atheist and i have read it cover to cover 3 times.

1/10 know there facts, worship god with all their heart, and are open minded to any debate that comes their way.

This website has done nothing for me, except i must say, make me laugh. The “Evidence” this website has presented is in no way, shape or form credible. Evolution is propaganda? What is this September 1st, 1939?

Hitler used propaganda. Stalin used propaganda. CIGARETTE COMPANIES USE PROPAGANDA.

If you honestly think that evolution is propaganda, then you are the 9/10.

Evolution is proven, SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN. With tangible facts. With evidence that can be proven exists.

If evolution doesnt exist, in all of its “propaganda” then please, someone tell me how any human has progressed in where in life at all. Intelligence is evolution, the growth of your body is evolution.

Oh Yeah by the way, i know you probably aren’t going to send this comment through because you dont want to play hacky sack with such an “ignorant statement” but honestly. Lets give it a try. Im curious as to what people have to say.

Peace, Love, Empathy