Do you serve God or a god?

I’m reading a book that a friend of mine gave me entitled Forever His by Marvin Moore. This book is all about the practical application of Romans and teaches us how to have a joyful and unbroken relationship with Jesus Christ. In the second chapter, Mr. Moore describes something that I’ve been feeling for some time. He writes:

Any misunderstanding we have of God will damage our relationship with him. The first commandment says, you shall have no other gods before me. Some false gods consist of images of wood or stone; the problem with these gods isn’t merely that they are made out of stuff that can be seen and touched. The root problem is that they create a false picture of the true God in the minds of their worshipers. Actually, any misconception of God that we hold is a false god.

It’s been nearly 10 years now since I’ve begun my God quest. I was sick and tired of playing the Christian game and I wanted once and for all to learn who the true God of the Bible is. One thing you will learn very quickly if you ever start a God quest is that it’s very easy to make a God in your own image. I learned that I had God in a box and he very quickly tore that box to shreds as he showed me that nothing could contain him. You see, every misrepresentation that you believe about God not only makes a false idol, but also has a corresponding consequence. I believe it was Andy Stanley that said, “If you believe God will heal every illness here on earth, you will be disappointed with the God you have created.”

What kind of false god are you holding on to? It might be time for you to examine the God you serve to make sure you have the one true God.

Leave9 Responses to testDo you serve God or a god?

1. Jessalynn Carnes November 18, 2010 at 11:51 am #

This is such a blessing. Sometimes I give people scriptures and they don’t want to listen to the truth because it goes against what they’ve already decided in their heart is truth. A new thing I’ve come up against is Universalism. It’s like atheism in it’s accusation of a God who puts people in hell, but then they deny God puts people in hell and decide to pick a few scriptures here and there and pretend these scriptures support their “better faith” that says everybody goes to heaven. I can count hundreds of scriptures that speak to the true Gospel of Jesus Christ, but it all falls on deaf ears because they don’t know God’s character and have decided this “wrathful God” that would put people in hell is not the god they serve, they have chosen a different god. I have friends that support these people and call them “brothers” I am truly shocked. If the foundation of our faith be destroyed, what do we have? What god do we truly serve? God says in His Word that if you do not serve God, you serve Satan, no matter what you call it. We also “partake in their evil” when we give hearty approval to what they do as well. Remove the evil from among you. Speak the truth in love, expect repentance. Pray for the soul. So many scriptures regarding this. I wonder if people making their own personal god and cults as a result have even read their Bible? Or went into it with their own bias and looked specifically for scriptures that might be construed to support their theory, then they go telling everybody what they’ve found. What would Universalism do to a lost soul? Encourage them to live in sin, they don’t need to repent, they don’t need to accept Christ, someone has just told them they’re covered already! The absurdity of it all! God help us.

2. Jeff Brace November 18, 2010 at 6:11 pm #

My heart aches daily for the lost. We must remember that it is God who softens the hardened heart, not our words.

3. Stephen Holshouser November 19, 2010 at 10:06 am #

Amen. God Himself is the greatest reward any human being could ever have (Gen 15:1). Knowing God and His Son Jesus Christ is what it is all about (John 17:3). I am persuaded that if we devoted our entire lives to know and understand the Lord and His ways, we could still only scratch the surface of His infinite beauty and wonder. Even when we are in eternity, we will not be able to see the end of His goodness.

If you want to know the Lord and fellowship with Him, He can only be found in the Person of Jesus Christ. He is the image of the invisible God and in Jesus dwells all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. He is pure and perfect and yet approachable for sinners like myself. (Col. 1)

If God the Father spoke to us directly from heaven, what would He communicate to us? Probably exactly what He said at least twice before… “[Jesus Christ] is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye Him.” (Matt 3:17, 17:5, 2 Pet 1:17) Eternal life and peace and reconciliation with God is found in Jesus Christ and His finished work. He is worthy of your life, and life is good with Him as your Master.

4. Don Carr November 20, 2010 at 12:13 am #

Great question.

The churches killed the prophets of old – and took power unto themselves…

Luke 11:47 Woe to you! You build tombs in memory of the prophets, but your fathers murdered them!…
    Luke 13:34 Yerushalayim! Yerushalayim! You kill the prophets!…

Who were these prophets, they were some of the Host (spoken of in Revelations) in the flesh here on earth. They were here just after the flood. Far more than just the Hebrew lineage, there were several schools (Egyptian, Chinese etc.) teachings us everything from ship building to levitation.

And Dr. Hovind’s work paves the way for the return of the Host by pointing out the recent cataclysm, suggesting another is due soon. Solar flare activity could wipe out electronics in an instant. The core of the planet could rotate with barely 3 hours notice.

The debate seems less about Intelligent Design or Creationism vs Evolution; rather its more about hiding and distorting our true spiritual heritage.

So how can anyone going to a mainline church in North America truly know Yaweh God when there is so much missing information and mind control, starting from the churches first? Congregations must take back their churches and seek the truth.

We all seek the true God, and I suspect we all fall short, myself included.

5. Ricky R November 20, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

But the Bible is only for the Christian God. How would we know it’s the Christian God that is the “true God” and not any other?- like I said in my other posts- I would love you to tell me why/how it’s the Christian God and not any other God such as in Paganism,or Taoism. Or just to tell me how it has ” wrong morals . ”
    _ _ _ _

There are so many misconceptions of God….. what hat denomination/group of Christians hold the “true God?” I kinda like the Methodist one…….
    —-

6. Kenneth Tyner November 21, 2010 at 9:27 pm #

Ricky R said:

But the Bible is only for the Christian God. How would we know it’s the Christian God that is the “true God” and not any other?- like I said in my other posts- I would love you to tell me why/how it’s the Christian God and not any other God such as in Paganism,or Taoism. Or just to tell me how it has “wrong morals.”

Ricky, that is actually an easy question to answer. There is only one who promised and is able to deliver the gift of the Holy Ghost; that would be Jesus Christ. If Jesus were not the Christ, the son of God, then the gift of the Holy Ghost would not be given to them that love him and obey his commandments. Since this gift is given through faith in Jesus, then he is the only way, truth and life.

7. Truth_Seeker H November 22, 2010 at 4:05 am #

Hi Ricky R,

I hope you don’t mind me answering your question for you. It’s a big question and to answer this question you have to look past ALL church groups in the world and first find the answer in the Bible, all answers can be found there. Yep, there is no perfect Christian church in this world and that’s why Jesus died for our sins because humans are incapable of doing anything perfect, no one person that ever lived had no sin, except the Son of God.

Some Church groups claim they are a true Christian church but they are far from it and the only way to know the truth is to pray and read the truth so here goes:

There are plenty of examples in the Bible of where people tested if HE is God. I’ll take one example. The following history is taken directly out of the Bible, it’s when the people did not know what god is the true God and they did this test on the Mount Carmel (a bit long but definitely worth the read):

1Ki 18: 21 – 40
    And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD [be] God, follow him: but if Baal, [then] follow him. And the people answered him not a word. Then said Elijah unto the people, I, [even] I only, remain a prophet of the LORD; but Baal’s prophets [are] four hundred and fifty men. Let them therefore give us two bullocks; and let them choose one bullock for themselves, and cut it in pieces, and lay [it] on wood, and put no fire [under]: and I will dress the other bullock, and lay [it] on wood, and put no fire [under]: And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD: and the God that answereth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken. And they took the bullock which was given them, and they dressed [it], and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. But [there was] no voice, nor any that answered. And they leaped upon the altar which was made. And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he [is] a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, [or] peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked. And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them. And it came to pass, when midday was past, and they prophesied until the [time] of the offering of the [evening] sacrifice, that [there was] neither voice, nor any to answer, nor any that regarded. And Elijah said unto all the people, Come near unto me. And all the people came near unto him. And he repaired the altar of the LORD [that was] broken down. And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, unto whom the word of the LORD came, saying, Israel shall be thy name: And with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD: and he made a trench about the altar, as great as would contain two measures of seed. And he put the wood in order, and cut the bullock in pieces, and laid [him] on the wood, and said, Fill four barrels with water, and pour [it] on the burnt sacrifice, and on the wood. And he said, Do [it] the second time. And they did [it] the second time. And he said, Do [it] the third time. And they did [it] the third time. And the water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water. And it came to pass at [the time of] the offering of the [evening] sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou [art] God in Israel, and [that] I [am] thy servant, and [that] I have done all these things at thy word. Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou [art] the LORD God, and [that] thou hast turned their heart back again. Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that [was] in the trench. And when all the people saw [it], they fell on their faces: and they said, The LORD, he [is] the God; the LORD, he [is] the God. And Elijah said unto them, Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape. And they took them: and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there.

If you are looking for the truth start reading your Bible and praying and you will soon discover which church are more in line with the truth and which one is off track. If you don’t have a bible goto the site blueletterbible dot org. Remember the essence of Christianity is not in what Church you belong but how your personal relationship with God is and if you believe Jesus died for your sins and is the true Son of God.

You will find the answer you looking for because God said:

Mat 7:8
    For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Now you might think what religion’s bible is true and that’s easy: there is only one where the bloodline was documented precisely from Adam to Jesus’s earthly mother.

Enjoy your journey.

8. Abe Geo November 23, 2010 at 8:20 am #

I have a question to Eric and all those who are in this site.This is not to throw dirt.I thought about this and have some theories.After the flood Humans and some animals turned meat eaters.What did people and animals eat once they got out of the ark ,especially the meat eating ones?

9. John Bebbington November 24, 2010 at 4:30 pm #

Abe,

Fortunately, Noah had the forethought to pack a couple of years supplies of sandwiches before setting sail. There are still some fossilised remains of these to be found on Mount Ararat in Turkey. The fillings are mainly roast behemoth.

But it’s a good question although contrary to your understanding meat-eating actually started immediately after the Fall. On the day before the Fall lions were quietly chewing african violets, sea-lions sea-violets and sparrow-hawks er, um … air-violets (I wonder what Adam originally named sparrow-hawks?) but the day after Macdonalds saw the fantastic possibilities and set up in business.

But how did meat-eaters manage to evolve meat-eating teeth so quickly I hear you ask? Well, good question. However, if you study the micro-evolution equations you will find that the multiplier is c, the speed of light, and back in Adam’s day the c-value was much bigger than today and hence evolution was much faster. Problem solved.

One of the many problems with this “theory” is that we find fossilised meat-eating teeth lying deep under chalk deposits but you will look long and hard within creationist apologetics to find any rational hypothesis as to how they come to be there in such a short period of time.