“I don’t care if I go to Hell.”

Have you ever heard an unbeliever say, “I don’t care if I go to Hell”? I was always taken aback when I would hear that phrase, because all my life I have been brought up in churches that teach about hell, and some preachers described it so vividly that you would have thought they had been there! I knew from a young age that is not a place I would want to go for even one second, let alone for eternity.

"The Light of the World" (1853-54) by William Holman Hunt. Jesus knocks on an overgrown, unused door that has no handle; it can only be opened from the inside.

Tonight I find myself trying to think from an unbeliever’s perspective, and I can empathize with them a little. For someone to “search” their entire life and then find out that they were wrong in the end makes you feel like saying, “Well fine, I don’t care if I do go to hell.” Their perspective is that they have truly “sought” after God, and if He is not powerful enough to reveal Himself, then they are fine with suffering the consequences if that is the way it has to be. This idea in itself reveals the true pride and arrogance on the part of the unbeliever. Problem is that there is none that seeketh after God! (Romans 3:11) Biblically speaking, it is not that they have “searched” their whole life, but instead they have “served themselves” rather than trusting in the God that they know exists. (Romans 1:20) Unbelievers follow sin rather than the one true God.

Some people ask, What about the person in Africa who has never heard of God or the Bible, will God send them to hell? If I may be a bit Christ-like, let me answer with a question. Will that person have an excuse for their sin before God on Judgment Day? Will anyone have an excuse on Judgment Day? They were rhetorical questions, but for those who don’t know, the answer is “NO.”

Please, if you have not, repent and trust in Christ today. Stop inventing a little bitty god that you can easily deny in order to suppress the truth that you are denying the one true God.

Leave10 Responses to test“I don’t care if I go to Hell.”

1. Julie Collins September 6, 2010 at 8:30 am #

this was hard for me for awhile, i am transsexual, so i i hear that words “you are going to hell for your sin” very often. even though i do not think god made me transsexual so i would go to hell… i believe he gave me another purpose that was intended to go along with me being transsexual.

my word of advice, is no matter how many times you are told you are going to hell, or how many times you are bashed by religious and non-religious people alike, never give up faith in god, because the people are people, and god is god, in the end it is fully gods decision, and Jesus died for a very important reason, that reason was to rid you of sin.

“for god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, so that whomever believes in him shall never die, but have eternal life” john 3:16

2. andrew Ryan September 6, 2010 at 10:06 am #

Eric, do you believe that non-believers DESERVE to go to hell? If I was a believer, and I went to heaven, but knew that many of my good, decent friends were in hell, then heaven itself would be a hell to me, knowing that they suffered. And I couldn’t worship a God who created the hell that they suffered in. Could you? HOW could you?

3. Leonard Ciciarelli September 6, 2010 at 11:19 am #

Amen Eric! Back in the old days, when someone died, it was often times obvious whether a person went to Heaven or Hell. Observers often either witnessed someone die in horror and extreme discomfort, or they witnessed them pass on in beautiful peace despite physical pain. This observable wonder is a rarity these days. Nowadays, folks on their death beds are so drugged up that they often pass on with nothing more than a gurgle or a gasp for air. I’m not suggesting that people should die in pain without drugs; I’m simply pointing out that it is a shame that this marvel is so rare these days.

Hell is the most Horrifying, Blood-Curdling place imaginable. It’s a very real place. In fact, Jesus spoke more about Hell than Heaven! Don’t kid yourself by thinking that you could deal with being in Hell for a moment, let alone eternity.

Unbelievers, you are in BIG TROUBLE! If you were to die within the next moment, you would immediately be in Hell! Stop playing games! GET SAVED NOW!!

4. Joakim Rosqvist September 6, 2010 at 2:11 pm #

>> Tonight I find myself trying to think from an unbeliever’s perspective.

Good for you, but you may need a little more practice…

As an actual unbeliever, I can say that:

* I do not “know” God exists, that would be wishful thinking from Christians.
    * I do not seek God (you got that one right!)
    * Any connection between “not finding God” and “ending up in Hell” are Christian fantasies.
    * There is no “pride and arrogance” involved, it’s simply a matter of focusing on things that can be examined and interacted with.
    * Do you really think we unbelievers invent gods so we can deny them? Sounds like a rather pointless exercise when there are so many more interesting things in this world.

>> the answer is “NO.”

“NO, they won’t be sent to Hell”
    or
    “NO, nobody has an excuse on Judgement Day?”

5. Felix September 6, 2010 at 1:20 pm #

Speaking for myself, I have never said “I don’t care”. I would very much welcome facts, for if I make a decision to put my trust in Christianity – I’d be a hypocrite if I professed that and couldn’t force myself to believe – I may diminish my chance to gain nirvana, to advance on the cosmic wheel, or to gain Allah’s favor. Legba might banish me to forever dwell at the crossroads, I might be torn to pieces by Quetzalcoatl.
    For all I know of human inventiveness, my conclusion after nearly forty years of life is that there’s a greater chance none of the above are true than one being true. Those philosophies which try to gain points by informing me that all of them are true in some woolly, vague cosmic sense, meh, that’s just silly.

6. Mike Ayala September 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

Hey Eric,

Amen. Another great post.

The good news is that God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Jesus said in John 14:6,

“I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by Me.”

Jesus also said in John 6:65,

“that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

We are also told in Matthew 22:14 that “many are called, but few are chosen.” It is not that God wants anybody to go to hell, for hell was created for the Devil and his angels, and God is not willing that anybody should perish.

Rather, too often, mankind drowns out the signal of the still small voice of the Spirit, that voice we hear inside that says, “Follow Me”, with the noise and busyness of life or the overpowering lusts of the flesh and pride of life. Too often the eternal call of God is rejected that one might follow the call of the temporary and unsatisfying pleasure of sin. There are a lot of voices calling us, but we can always tell the voice of the Spirit of God because His voice is the one that is not shouting at us.

If anyone does truly diligently seek God, He will reveal Himself to that person. That is a promise from the Word of God.

Hell is forever and ever, and it is hot!

God is calling:

“Seek the LORD while He may be found, Call upon Him while He is near.

Let the wicked forsake his way, And the unrighteous man his thoughts; Let him return to the LORD, And He will have mercy on him; And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.”

A scared and bewildered Philippian jailer asked a simple question,

“Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”

We are told volumes by what is not said in contrast to what is said in this simple answer,

“Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

It is that simple.

God bless you all.

Mike Ayala

7. Nigel McNaughton September 6, 2010 at 3:40 pm #

Woah, pace yourself eric, 2 blogs in one day?

If I imagine a bigger God, as you suggest, then isn’t his failure to convince most of the people in the world to join the correct religion and even greater failure?

8. Eric Idle September 6, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

A true unbeliever wouldn’t say ‘I don’t care if I go to hell’ – only believers or agnostics would contemplate such a possibility.

‘Stop inventing a little bitty god…’ – again, a true unbeliever does not ‘invent’ or believe in any deity, of any strength, at any level.

It is you who invents any ‘god’ – to excuse yourself from responsibility and ultimately as a tool for power and control over the weak.

9. Joakim Rosqvist September 7, 2010 at 12:29 am #

>> Please, if you have not, repent and trust in Christ today.

Now let’s see…

Amount of evidence that “trusting in Christ” affects the likelihood that you’ll end up in Hell: NIL
    Amount of evidence that anyone has ever ended up in hell: NIL

You might as well suggest that I go looking for a blue tomato in order to avoid being abducted by an alien spacecraft.

10. Jim D September 8, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

Eric, I am going to shock you.

If you God exists, I WANT to go to hell.

There is no way I would want to spend eternity with your screwed up God. Your Old Testament God is so messed up, it’s disturbing that anyone would even be with him forever, let alone give him the time of day.