ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!
As summer dawns upon our calendars bringing closure to yet another academic season, don’t forget to get out and revel in the wonders of God’s Creation! From the sun-kissed beaches to the hazy mountains; the creature-filled forests and the sweltering deserts, there is wonder, excitement, and adventure everywhere!
MERGING GOD’S WORD AND GOD’S WORLD
It always makes me chuckle when skeptics accuse Creationists of rejecting science. Although evolution may seem as scientific to them as the laws of nature, true Creationists love good, observational science because it all points back to our Creator.
“In Christ are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.” Colossians 2:3
Since “science” comes from the Latin word scientia, meaning “knowledge,” all the treasures of science can be found in Jesus Christ. But that’s not all. In the Gospel of John, Jesus is referred to as “the Word made flesh.” (John 1:14) That means that Science is simultaneously found in the Scriptures. Contrary to the claims of our skeptic friends, Science and the Scriptures do NOT clash. They harmonize perfectly. Only special creation can explain the laws of logic or nature. Only the Scriptures provide a reliable framework for scientific research as we attempt to build models for explaining how the world works. This summer, find ways to incorporate God’s Word with God’s World as you explore creation and experience tons of fun with science!
20 SUGGESTIONS FOR SUMMER FUN WITH SCIENCE AND SCRIPTURE (Download PDF)
- Take a Nature Hike, searching for birds, bugs, leaves, or rocks. Create a Nature Journal to document the interesting discoveries you make.
- Find a local U-pick farm or Farmer’s Market and enjoy fresh fruits, vegetables, and berries! Can you imagine how amazing they tasted in the Garden of Eden?
- Play outside in the rain as you discuss the hydrologic cycle. (Job 36:27-28)
- Dig in the sand at the beach while memorizing Psalm 139:17-18.
- Climb a tree! Did you know that the science of dating trees is called dendrochronology? Try saying that five times fast!
- Plant a butterfly garden and research the amazing process called “metamorphosis.” Only God can make all things new! (Revelation 21:5; 2 Corinthians 5:17)
- Erect a bird feeder and learn about God’s care for us. (Matthew 6:25-27; Luke 12:6-7)
- Create a treasure hunt in your backyard. Read the Parable of Hidden Treasure in Matthew 13:44.
- Go to the lake and learn how to skip stones. Discuss how the ripple effect applies to life.
- Make paper airplanes. Like the planes in Mr. Eric’s Airplane Kit, children who are properly prepared and properly motivated can go a long way for the Glory of God!
- Go camping! Look up and try to count the stars. Did you know there are about 100 thousand million stars in the Milky Way alone? Yet God calls them all by name! (Psalm 147:4)
- Go to the zoo and imagine what it was like to be Adam and Eve naming all the animals or Noah living with them inside the Ark for a whole year!
- Pack a picnic and take it to the park. Discuss ways that God provides food, shelter, and water for the birds, squirrels, chipmunks, and other creatures.
- Take a nap! Just as our bodies were designed to need rest, our souls must find rest in Jesus Christ. (Matthew 11:28-29)
- Have fun with a cool science experiment using the Scientific Method to record your results.
- Go swimming, fishing, boating, or canoeing at a nearby body of water. Think of all the ways that water is essential to life. In John 4:10-15, Jesus offers living water to the Samaritan woman.
- Build something with pillows, Legos, blocks, wood, or scrap metal. Memorize Hebrews 3:4.
- Go fly a kite! Read Isaiah 40:28-31. Discuss flight patterns like gliding, hovering, flapping, and bounding. Research the difference between lift and drag.
- Do a research project using Search Creation for answers or ideas.
- Visit a Creation Museum or take a Creation Tour. Find a list of locations at Visit Creation!
WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
As you get out and explore God’s creation, make good use of the technology He has allowed us to invent by taking snapshots or videos of your Science Fun and sending them to us! Who knows? They may even find their way into a new article or video blog on our website!
Send your photos, videos, and stories to: